Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Spinach Meatballs

 
 This is a favorite of mine to make...Super yummy and very healthy! This is what a spaghetti squash looks like. When I first heard of them I'll admit I had no idea what this particular squash looked like.
 
 
First what you will want to do is cut the squash in half. They can be hard to cut so be careful. I hear nooking them in the microwave can help soften it and make cutting easier. 
 
 
Once you have it cut in half you will need to gut out the seeds. 

 
Place the two gutted halves open side down in a dish with a lid. Fill the dish 1/4 to 1/2 fill of water and bake at 350F covered with the lid. I baked mine for an hr then checked on it. It wasn't quite done yet so I baked for another 1/2 hr.

 
Once it is cooked carefully take one side out of the dish. They will be very hot so make sure you don't burn yourself. I used a pot holder to protect me from the heat. Take a fork and start scraping the squash out of the shell, and there you have it! Top with spaghetti sauce and add the meatballs

 
Lean Ground Turkey Spinach Meatballs.
 
 
1 lb. lean ground turkey
I cup chopped spinach leaves

2 tsp garlic powder
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 small onion grated or chopped
1 egg
1/4 cup whole wheat or panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
splash milk (I use almond milk)
non stick spray

In large bowl, mix together onion, egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan and milk. Mix until it turns into a loose paste. Add in ground turkey, chopped spinach, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Gently combine all ingredients. Roll meat mixture into small meatballs, about 1-2 inches round. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Before placing in oven, spray each meatball with non stick spray.
Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until browned, in 375 degree oven.

I always have several meatballs left over. You can take the remaining meatballs and freeze them for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment